Graduate Assistantship Positions

What is a Graduate Assistantship?

Each year the Division of Student Affairs employs nearly 50 graduate students as graduate assistants for a variety of programs, departments and functional areas.

The Division focuses on developing students’ strengths and inspiring student leadership for a global society while fostering a community of inclusion, service, inquiry, partnership, and excellence.

Graduate assistants have the opportunity to advise student organizations, plan major campus programs, build communities in our residence halls, contribute to strategic planning and assessment initiatives, provide direct service to students in need, and much more!


New minimum stipends for graduate assistants are:

12-month master's — $15,450/year
9-month master's — $11,588/year
12-month M.F.A./doctoral — $18,450/year
9-month M.F.A./doctoral — $13,905/year

Pending Board of Trustees approval for a 3% increase in 2023-2024

UARK employees are paid twice a month.

Additional Benefits

  • All in-state and out-of-state tuition is waived
  • 12 -month Graduate Assistants summer class tuition is waived
  • Graduate Assistant Professional Development series and other Professional Development Opportunities
  • Professional development funds are dependent on the resources available to the hiring department and based on the GA’s performance evaluation 

Click the Application Process tab on the side of this page to view open positions in the division of student affairs.

Qualifications & Skills

Applicants for a Division of Student Affairs graduate assistantship should either be admitted to the graduate school or a current graduate student at the University of Arkansas with a minimum 3.0 GPA.

Applicants should also have the following skills:

  • Manage multiple projects at once and work on a deadline
  • Possess exceptional written communication skills and the ability to tailor the tone of messages to the targeted student population
  • Ability to work both as a team member and independently

Priority will be given to candidates with a knowledge of higher education issues, previous exposure to Student Affairs, and commitment to the Higher Education and Student Affairs fields. 

Preferred graduate academic programs are as follows:

  • M.Ed. or Ed.D., Higher Education (HIED)
  • M.S., Counseling (CNSL)
  • M.Ed., Adult Education (ADED)


Contact for more information.